Sunday, September 27, 2009

Oliver Twist




What caused me a huge impact when I watched “Oliver Twist” by Charles Dickens, was the treatment children received. Having Oliver as the main character of the story, was a good representation to give me a better understanding of how those times where seen by kids.

In the first place, Victorian age was an economic expansion time, which was full of transformation in terms of power. The industralization era started to stay for a long time. One of the consecuences of this process was the needed of more work force. But, as workers felt they were over exploited, the only possibility was using children to work. In the movie, this situation can be seen in the orphanate where hundreds of boys and girls were forced to work under deplorable conditions. In addition to that, adults took advantage of children's weaknesses and lack of education, that ,certaintly, allowed them to save money due to in a way they were cheap instruments to use. According to my research about this topic, I could realize that there wasn't any supervision or control from the police or the governement to stop this kind of treatments. Now, and following with Oliver experience, I think that he never saw this issue as a job but as an adventure. He was so innocent to understand something like this, that the only situation which concerned him was to felt loved by others.

I have to say that I really enjoyed watching the movie. As I said before, what causes me huge impact was how children were badly exposed in terms of working condition. But, what I like the most was how the director played with "chiaroscuro" through the movie. That is to say, he trayed to make a contrast by representing freedom, happiness and love with light and violent and difficult moments with shadows. For example, the house of Mr. Brownlow and Fagin. I wish Oliver would have lighter than darker moments. He was so pure and full of hopes that he didn't deserve all the bad experiences he lived.

1 comment:

Clau said...

great comments, really!!!
it is great that you pointed out the two sides of Oliver's life
what do you think children are going through these days? do you think poor children have hope in their lives?why?

take care,

claudia