Thursday, September 24, 2009

Is death announced?



Honestly, when I read The Signal-man by Dickens, I couldn’t get the whole point of the story. It was very difficult to analyse situations, characters and some symbols. For example, what does the train mean? What’s the meaning of the signal man? What about the ghost?

After being thinking a lot about this, I realized that every single object of the short story has to do with death. That is to say, not the act of dying but death as a warning. Inside the story, the ghost is in charge of giving clues and warnings of death to the signal man, but he realized later that this was a warning. Now I wonder, when the time comes, will death give us a warning? As far as I know, yes. I’m saying this because, and thanks to my experience, after someone dies the family or closest friends start remembering what was the last thing that person did. Most of the time they say; He called me last night and said take care, I love, I will never forget you. Or that the person was acting very strange, he started doing weird things.. I remember once that I was talking to a friend of mine and she told me that she dreamed about her mother’s death and some times when her mother wasn’t at home she felt as if she was there. Three months later her mother died in a car crush.

I strongly believe that death is announced, the problem is that we, human, don’t know how to decipher that signals. That is why we need to keep our five senses open, because we never know when death can arrive.

No comments: