Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Waste Land by T.S Eliot


Honestly, it was very difficult for me to understand this poem. It has too much narrators and, sometimes, talks about things that, I know, I will never understand. Event though, there were some stanzas and parts that I understood and could get an image from them. What I got from this poem is that the main issue here was the period after the First World War and how its consequences and modernity were affecting peoples’ lives.

I found several elements and feelings inside the poem, such as sadness, nothingness, hopeless, fear which are very related with people’s mood in that time. In one hand, individuals felt so disappointed and full of doubts that nothing was clear, but unknown. This waste land was falling down in little pieces day by day, that’s why people felt so unprotected frustrated and doubtful about their future.

In my opinion I could say that Eliot represented and expressed himself so deeply in this poem that, in a way, I could imagine how people felt after the war. How could they create a sort of positive feeling if they only perceived pain and discourage to continue living their lives? I think we will never know until we live it.

No comments: