Friday, November 20, 2009

Carolina's entry


To be honest I have to say that Carolina's entry fits completely with what I felt and thought about Virginia Woolf. Maybe, this situation happened because we almost share the same feelings and ideas about women's role in the world.

Virginia Woolf was an excellent writer who knew how to express herself and, the most important point, she could gain a place in the world by the publication of her works. Even though V. Woolf lived in a very controversial time, she had the possibility to communicate her thoughts and ideas through writing. Furthermore, she had their own place to write and the money to do so. I believe that the most important characteristic Virginia had was that she pursued and fought with all the stigmatisation society had against women. That is why, she decided to wrote about female roles and, in a way, compare them with men, so that people could realize that we are more than pretty faces who can stay at home taking care of our children.

I really liked the way Carolina connected Jane Austen with Virginia Woolf and how that connection made her reflect about female's situtation in previous years. I know that Carolina is a big fan of J. Austen and she admires and enjoys reading her works, so having thought about a close relation between these two amazing writers gave Carolina a more meaningful idea of females' writing. Carolina is always looking for interesting ideas and topics to write about. I have read all her entries and I believe she really has a gift to clearly express what she feels.

Jane Austen

For a long time, I have been a fan of Jane Austen’s novels. I have read almost all of them, and I really admire her for everything she accomplished. Virginia Woolf made me appreciate Jane Austen much more than I did. Woolf was the author I needed to support me in my enjoyment of Austen.

Jane Austen lived in a time where women could be nothing but daughters and housewives. She was a writer in a time where nothing could be expected out of a woman. However, she wrote 6 of the most beautiful novels in English although she had no money and no room. She is world-wide recognized and dearly loved. Woolf states in many parts of her essay that Jane Austen proved the world, and men, that women could perfectly write as good as men. In some extent, Woolf compares Austen to Mozart in the following quote: “For while Jane Austen breaks from melody to melody as Mozart from song to song...” Therefore her genius is as Mozart’s or Shakespeare’s, to whom she also compares Jane Austen.


“Here was a woman (Jane Austen) about the year 18oo writing without hate, without bitterness, without fear, without protest, without preaching.” Thus, Jane Austen could write as the best of men and none of her conditions such as having no room, being poor, being interrupted and being a woman interfered in the complexity and richness of her writing.

No comments: